Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg

Van der Decken

Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg

Post by Van der Decken » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:44 am

Wow, this is an aweseome opera. It was my first Wagner opera. I remember watching the Levine DVD with my son who had never heard Meistersinger before and he loved it! I need to spend some more time with this opera. I have six Meistersinger DVDs and have only watched two of them. So some great times a coming, but I also have many other Wagner opera DVDS to watch. Big problem deciding which to watch next.
"Pray heaven that soon a wife will keep faith with him!" Senta speaking of the Hollander.
Parsifal

Re: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg

Post by Parsifal » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:35 am

Van der Decken wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:44 am
Wow, this is an aweseome opera. It was my first Wagner opera. I remember watching the Levine DVD with my son who had never heard Meistersinger before and he loved it! I need to spend some more time with this opera. I have six Meistersinger DVDs and have only watched two of them. So some great times a coming, but I also have many other Wagner opera DVDS to watch. Big problem deciding which to watch next.
I think Meistersinger benefits more than any other Wagner opera from being seen as well as heard. Comedy really only makes sense completely when you see it acted, whereas tragedy can be quite moving in the imagination. There's a melancholy side to Meistersinger which seems more prominent when you're just listening to a recording, though of course that's a part of Hans Sachs's nature that also needs to be apparent onstage. I like the blend of comedy and seriousness in this opera, which has a libretto that's both witty and philosophical.