How many different Wagner operas have you seen live?

Been to see a performance? Post your review here, Also post links to reviews and comments from elsewhere.

Das Rheingold
13%
Der fliegende Holländer
8%
Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
11%
Die Walküre
11%
Götterdämmerung
13%
Lohengrin
5%
Parsifal
13%
Siegfried
11%
Tannhäuser
8%
Tristan und Isolde
8%

Total votes: 38
TalkWagner
Site Admin

Post by TalkWagner » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Seen live. That is to say in person at an opera house or similar.

Fittingly only 10 options are permitted. Perhaps I'll do another poll for the early works.
Nibelung

Re: How many different Wagner operas have you seen live?

Post by Nibelung » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:47 am

So far only Meistersinger.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:25 pm

While living on the east coast in the 1970s I was able to see Parsifal, Tristan and Gotterdammerung at the Met, the last two with Birgit Nilsson, of whom I was a passionate fan at the time. None of them were great performances. James Levine conducted the Parsifal at his brain-and-fanny-numbing tempos, and I don't even remember now who was in the cast. The Tristan was also a let-down, with the tenor, Helge Brilioth, running out of voice completely early in Act 3 and faking his way to the end. It was sad to see him slink out of the opera house afterward while we all mobbed Birgit at the stage door. Needless to say she sailed through the evening with voice to spare, actually sounding fresher at the end than at the start.

In the '80s I was lucky enough to be given free tickets to see the Ring at the Seattle Opera. Again, I forget who sang, but it was a pleasant production, much ballyhooed at the time for being traditional and realistic (no space suits, swastikas, or rat costumes). It was a thrill to see the entire Ring in the theater; the first note, that low Eb sounding from the depths of the Rhine, brought tears to the eyes of this lifelong Wagnerian.
Wälse

Post by Wälse » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:35 am

I recently saw Parsifal at Stuttgart Opera & it was the definition of 'Regietheater". I still don't know what to make of it lol
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:26 am

Wälse wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:35 am
I recently saw Parsifal at Stuttgart Opera & it was the definition of 'Regietheater". I still don't know what to make of it lol
Oh the things they do to my poor namesake Buehnenweihfestspiel! Everyone is so afraid of it nowadays. What was weird about this one?
Wälse

Post by Wälse » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 am

Parsifal wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:26 am
Oh the things they do to my poor namesake Buehnenweihfestspiel! Everyone is so afraid of it nowadays. What was weird about this one?
Where do I begin?? It was set in a post-apocalyptic world under a collapsed bridge. Kundry was raped 4 times I believe, by Parsifal, Gurnemanz, Klingsor, & some random vagabonds. Amfortas had no wound. Klingsor was a pyromaniac in a white wife-beater (my favorite singer of the evening). Kundry breast fed Parsifal while she sang at one point. The Flower Maidens were whores (I think?) with tape bikinis & used red markers to draw all over themselves while they sang. At the end of the opera Titurel was walking around the stage alone & naked, before said vagabonds killed him & stuck his body in a wheelbarrow. I think that about covers it lol
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 am

Wälse wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 am
Parsifal wrote:
Where do I begin?? It was set in a post-apocalyptic world under a collapsed bridge. Kundry was raped 4 times I believe, by Parsifal, Gurnemanz, Klingsor, & some random vagabonds. Amfortas had no wound. Klingsor was a pyromaniac in a white wife-beater (my favorite singer of the evening). Kundry breast fed Parsifal while she sang at one point. The Flower Maidens were whores (I think?) with tape bikinis & used red markers to draw all over themselves while they sang. At the end of the opera Titurel was walking around the stage alone & naked, before said vagabonds killed him & stuck his body in a wheelbarrow. I think that about covers it lol
Ah yes. This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUifwQDQCqI

German nihilism is such a cliche. The director in this clip tells us: "I like to share my emotions and my thoughts with the audience. I want, I need to communicate that. I think that's why I'm a director." I like, I want, i need, I am... It seems not to matter what Wagner's music and libretto are communicating; it's his emotions and ideas that matter. Good that he's honest about whose opera he's presenting. He's right in seeing in Parsifal the "crisis of religion." But for him, unlike for Wagner, what lies beyond religion's laws and rituals is - nothing. Imagine how much he's being paid - and the German citizenry is being taxed - to tell us that.
Wälse

Post by Wälse » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:31 am

Parsifal wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 am
Wälse wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 am
Parsifal wrote:
Ah yes. This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUifwQDQCqI

German nihilism is such a cliche. The director in this clip tells us: "I like to share my emotions and my thoughts with the audience. I want, I need to communicate that. I think that's why I'm a director." I like, I want, i need, I am... It seems not to matter what Wagner's music and libretto are communicating; it's his emotions and ideas that matter. Good that he's honest about whose opera he's presenting. He's right in seeing in Parsifal the "crisis of religion." But for him, unlike for Wagner, what lies beyond religion's laws and rituals is - nothing. Imagine how much he's being paid - and the German citizenry is being taxed - to tell us that.
That's the one! I forgot to mention the little boy who was beaten & stripped down to his tighty whities before they ate him.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:40 am

^^^ Nice to hear that while I'm eating.
Wälse

Post by Wälse » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:09 am

^^^^ lmao!!